How To Handle Graffiti And Damages When Your Fence Borders On A Commercial Property

There are many private properties that share a boundary with a commercial property. Usually, the back boundary or a side boundary borders on a convenience center, gas station or office building. If you have installed a fence but have recently incurred damages due the commercial property's consumers or vandals, here is how you should handle the situation. 

Take Regular Walks Around the Outside of Your Fence

Just as you check the inside of your fence for necessary repairs and maintenance, do the same around the outside of the fence. After all, it is your fence, you did purchase it and have a fence contractor install it, and you want it to look just as nice and secure on the outside as it does on the inside of your yard. Circling around the outside of your fence will help you notice damages almost immediately after they occur, and then you can discuss them with the commercial property owner who shares a property line with your yard and/or with the police as needed.

Commercial Property Owners Need to Address Damages to Your Property

When a customer parks too close to your fence and either bends it over or breaks it, the commercial property owner is responsible. The commercial property owner needs to post signs that allow his or her customers to know that your fence marks private property and should be respected and avoided. He or she should also install parking bumpers to prevent customers from getting too close to your fence. If the commercial property owner does none of the above and your fence is damaged, you need to speak directly to the owner about the damages. If he or she is unwilling to pay for the damages, or he or she cannot track down the persons responsible for the damages, then you need to involve the police.

Graffiti and Vandalism to the Commercial Side of Your Fence

Graffiti and vandalism (e.g., urination and fecal smearing, food and drink smears, etc.) fall under the jurisdiction of the police. File a report with the police first, then get a copy of the report to file with your homeowner's insurance. When your homeowner's insurance pays to fix and clean the damages to the fence, then you can hire a fencing contractor (such as one from Four Corners Fencing) to clean the mess up and replace any sections of fence that are so badly damaged that a cleaning will not make it better.